Building a sand terrarium is actually a simple process, and it is also a great opportunity to get creative by customizing your terrarium to your own taste! This tutorial will show you how to build a cactus sand terrarium for a special occasion!
- Polish your terrarium before doing anything! Finding fingerprint marks when you have finished your terrarium is a difficult problem to solve!
- Water your plant two days before planting it
Which plants to choose?
What you will need:
- Cactus soil (this allows good drainage for the cactus to prevent rotting)
- Terrarium (shop our Pyramid terrarium here)
- A size-appropriate cactus or succulent (measure it against the size of your terrarium)
- Colored sand (choose colors to match your home décor, or to represent a celebration such as Christmas or Halloween)
- Aquarium stones (these not only look pretty but also provide drainage)
Remember that this is a temporary terrarium and you may want to re-pot your cactus or succulent after 2-3 weeks ensuring you use a planter with a drainage hole since cacti and succulents don't enjoy moist conditions!
Tag us in your sand terrarium creations @thegeometricplanter on Instagram!